This morning I saw a large flock of green parrakeets.
Known locally as "the Wandsworth Parrots" they are not an uncommon sight around Wandsworth or Tooting Bec Commons (possibly further afield in the borough also) though I don't see them that often, considering how many times I visit the Common. It's always a slightly surreal and joyful experience to see them.
It seems they are more prevalent than you would think, and we are not alone in having some. (They originate of course as caged birds, that have either been set free, or escape to the wild).
http://www.rspb.org.uk/advice/expert/previous/parakeets.aspx
It's not often I find it a bit frustrating to use this self-imposed discipline of using a not-very-good image-making device. This is one of the few times as it's really hard to see them:
So just for this once, here is a cropped enlargement from one of the originals, which makes it slightly more possible:
*****
I often see them, when I do see them, not far from the café of "Cafe Wood" (see previous post).
Though the wood must have been there before the café (unless there was an older 'café' there in the 1700's when the oldest trees were planted, which I somehow doubt). The current caff dates to Edwardian times, just before WW1.
I don't think it's changed much, which I'm glad about.






No comments:
Post a Comment