Monday, 30 September 2013

Personal Detritus, 30th September



I have fallen behind a bit with posts, what with one thing and another.

These are from a week ago, an amazing amount of 'fly-tipping' from rogue builders/waste disposers. Travellers who have recently left the Common got the blame, in the local media and on the streets. I don't know who it was but have never seen such tipping before. It's perhaps useful to realise each photo is of a separate pile, dumped within close proximity to the rest.

It was a mix of builders' rubble and house contents. It included children's toys and drawings, school books, which I didn't really feel like putting up here.

What struck me? Yes the extent of this is shocking, unpleasant.

But a week later, it is all cleared. As if it never was.
And I'm still thinking of those drawings, the whole house contents.

There is a lot of movement going on now in London, of families who are struggling financially.
The Bedroom Tax, the Housing Benefit Cap. Places that were formally social housing are being emptied and done up, and to my certain knowledge, some of them are being sold.

That is what really distresses me about these photographs.



























































No comments:

Post a Comment