I've been keeping an eye on this one. I missed the first week or two of life but a couple of weeks ago came upon the Egyptian Geese with a fairly robust gosling. I was reluctant to post anything too soon but this one looks pretty good today and has obviously survived a great deal longer that the ill-fated goslings of last year, despite making an appearance at about the same time as last year's brood. The heron was a few feet away, each ignoring the other completely (the heron was a prime suspect in my mind for last year, though it was possibly simply the weather that caused the death of the goslings). The gosling is the one in the middle, (behind the wood pigeons) and whenever I have seen it, has been eating without rest or hesitation. Maybe that's the secret of it's survival.
So, we've come full circle.
My plan had always been to keep this blog for a full year, and a full year (plus a few days) it is. And it's always good to finish with hope. Even if just for this litttle goose. I'm not making any decision about carrying on, or not, but this is a point at which to pause,a marker. It's not always good to carry on, for the sake of it, better to stop while the going is good...
or something like that.
No promises though. And thinking about it I don't really hold with "last this or that" or "goodbye that's it" or even "quit now ... just because". Life's too short.

No comments:
Post a Comment